A few flying days between the heavy rain
The Lower Mainland
has had a huge amount of rain this past month and so
opportunities to fly have been few. It is a very poor time to be
a flying instructor.
The weather was good the evening of the 24th January and so I was able to do some circuits with Rory in the Tomahawk in the dark. Six with me, and then five on his own.
|Flying training is about people
and so I have included some portraits in this update.
It was Gloria's birthday and so Standard
Operating Procedure is to go flying.
The weather was poor to the
east, but often there's good weather to the south of
Back at Boundary Bay we did five
circuits as there was nobody else flying.
The runway, and the airport was all ours
|Aeroplanes must be flown to
the key, and so we went down to Boundary Bay, pulled the
First to the Glen Valley for a
few turns and then into Abbotsford to do a
Heavy rain 31st January - 1st February
|Over night the rain was so hard
it sounded like a hose pipe playing water on the windows.
But the morning brightened up into a flying day.
'Went to Langley to give the Chipmunk a
Bob Leroux has moved his Piper
Arrow into the next hangar to the Chipmunk.
There's a lot of flooded ground after the inundation of the previous night, and the previous weeks
|Gary has access to a Mooney
M20C and so the Cherokee is sidelined.
The Mooney needed a run, and to be
refueled and so we flew to Chilliwack
Replenished; the Mooney took us back to Langley in a few minutes.
A Diamond DA20 was doing a practice forced landing as we passed; wouldn't be good for real!
Know your rotor diameter!
|The next day the Cherokee had a
turn at flying to Chilliwack.
this time Gary also wanted to take a friend's Cherokee 160 for a flight; it also
had not flown for months.
Mark turned up in the Maule Amphib and had a problem.
The battery was too weak to start the engine and so we borrowed a couple
of those battery jumper systems with some success, but the engine stopped.
Eventually a couple of jumper leads from the airport manager's truck did the
trick and we were off into the gathering dusk.
I flew back with Mark in the Maule with a splash in Hatzic Lake on the way back.
The heavy rain had washed
away all access to the Hemlock Valley ski resort and so it was
helicopter rescue time. Good practice for when the Big One hits
We must not forget that Mount Baker is part of the Ring of Fire, and close to the fault line that leads to San Andreas.
||Back to work
The Vagabond has been bogged down at
Delta Heritage Air Park where the runway has
From Boundary Bay we flew to
Pitt Lake for some steep turns, and stalls.
As I write this it is
gently snowing outside. There's rain forecast throughout the week
until a cloudy Sunday with sunshine on Monday.
"What follows two days of rain in Vancouver?" "Monday".
I don't believe in forecasts and so I am always ready to go to the airfield.
Back to mpaviation.com